Some persons are usually afraid of washing their sofa covers for fear of ruining it. Although the simple act of washing is not that scary, knowing how to go about it not to damage the cover can be scary. As long as the sofa covers are removable, you must wash them regularly to keep them neat.
Are these sofa covers to be washed by hand or washing machine?
If you can correctly answer this question, you will reduce the fear of ruining your favorite housse canapé d angle. There are many ways of testing if your sofa cover can be washed in a washing machine. However, it is best to ask the fabric manufacturer or the fabric store where you bought the cover if it is suitable for a washing machine.
You can even test if your covers are colorfast or preshrunk before putting them in the washing machine. To test if your cover is colorfast, you can scrub a dry, white cloth on the cover, and if the color sticks to the white clothing then, it is not colorfast and therefore not machine-washable. Any cover that doesn’t pass the preshrunk & colorfast test should be washed by hand.
After confirming from the fabric manufacture/store or the test, you can go ahead to prepare warm water, laundry detergent, and stain remover. You will need these three items to wash the covers by hand.
A simple guide to washing sofa covers in a washing machine
- First of all, determine if the covers are machine-washable.
- Ensure that you remove all the dirt and pet hairs off the cover before the washing time.
- Remove the covers from the sofas, and make sure you close the zipper.
- Put the covers in the washing machine and use cold water with a mild detergent. Ensure that you use gentle washing cycles to damage the cover.
- Allow the covers to dry before putting them back on the sofa. If you are using a dryer, make sure that you use the lowest temperature.
However, you can put a damp cover back on the sofa and the sofa taken out for the covers to dry completely. This is done because replacing the covers is much easier when they are slightly damp.
Tips to washing sofa covers by hand
- After confirming that your sofa covers need to be washed by hand, get your washing detergent, warm water, and stain remover ready.
- You can make your water-based cleaner at home using vinegar, baking soda, and water. Using a spray bottle, sprinkle the solution on the cover and scrub gently.
- Use a stain remover to get rid of stains like blood. You should use the stain remover on the stained area first.
- After treating the stained spot, wash the whole cover with the solution using a clean cloth.
- Before replacing the covers, vacuum your sofa to get rid of dust and dirt.
Although some sofa covers can be washed by hand or in a washing machine, you can only clean some with a dry cleaning agent.